Saturday, October 04, 2008

Hooray for the open road!

I was able to park in my own driveway tonight, much to my relief. And we got an unexpected benefit from the road work. The speed bumps are now wider, which means that getting to my place at the end of the street, past 3 speed bumps will no longer be so jolting to my spine. Or injurious to my car's suspension. So, that's good. 

Still, here's hoping it will be at least a year before they resurface my neighborhood's streets again.

In other news, the ankle is getting better. It stayed in place most of today. If I baby it this weekend, maybe it will forget its wild ways and stay where it is loved and appreciated come Monday. As an incentive to good behavior, I ordered new orthotics since the old ones have lost most of their spring. 

2 comments:

Optistatic said...

They might resurface your road within a year? Woah - I didn't know that sort of thing went on anywhere.

I was being driven round the countryside around Dresden by a very apologetic German - he seemed a bit upset that we had to put up with a few narrow country roads with slightly imperfect tarmac and the occasional pothole. East Germany still hasn't caught up with West Germany, apparently. We assured him that roads round where we live (North-West England) were frequently much worse. They tend to have to be very bad before any resurfacing goes on.

Perhaps you should come and live here.

yanub said...

Abi, I base my suspicions on the fact that the resurfacing earlier in the summer wasn't done right and had to be re-done. And this time, the resurfacing looks better, but they still hadn't patched the road first. Slapping sealant on a road with grass growing through cracks doesn't seem like a lasting solution to me, so I'm not optimistic that the road closing won't be repeated again next summer.

In this county, at least half the county-maintained roads are caliche (clay and gravel), so they are re-done after every heavy rain. The county must be overjoyed that we've been in a drought all year; the roads have only been washed out twice. My street's maintenance seems to be done by the development owner, so I reckon it gets done whenever the owner feels his property values are threatened.

The Texas state roads, now, those are in perpetual maintenance. And the state approach to maintenance is tear up and rebuild, so the appearance of a pot hole means a mile of road will be closed for a rebuild. On the other hand, there are very few potholes in state roads. Usually the work is done soon after subsidence appears, which is pretty often around here due to soil and weather conditions. One day, the road is level, the next day, it's a roller coaster.