Saturday, October 02, 2004

OK, I lied.

Turns out I will update it once in a while after all.

I saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow this afternoon. When I first saw the trailers, I was excited at seeing a disabled heroine (Angelina wears an eye patch, suggesting some sort of injury). Then my daughter crushed my hopes, telling me that she was playing a villian. But we went to see it anyways, and my initial expectation was born out--Jolie played a hero! A woman hero with a disability! I haven't been this elated by a character since Ripley was the only survivor in Alien. Usually, the movies use disability as a code for evil, and I can't even think of another movie in which there was a disabled female character who was portrayed as admirably kick-ass instead of as pity-invoking. Yeah, she looked a bit like a dominatrix, but so what? Actually, with a little attention to style, a lot of disability gear could have an assertive in-your-face look that would have all the TABs drooling to join the crip set. I wear silver ring splints on my craptacular fingers, and don't go a day without getting compliments. There's no reason in the world why back braces, leg braces, orthopedic shoes, hearing aids or prosthetic limbs couldn't be designed to be visually impressive. Rehab equipment makers listen up: more black leather, less beige plastic!

No comments: